The trend is something that will always have some value all the times. In such, Fashion designers play a vital in creating the trend. It is one of the professions that have a good interest among people. For becoming a professional fashion designer it is important to know some information and to work accordingly for it. Here is a complete guide for becoming a fashion designer.
What is the Education Qualification for a Fashion Designer?
The basic qualification for the fashion designer is a bachelor’s degree or a fashion merchandising. In this educational program, the candidates will learn about textiles and fabrics. Also, some of the computer sources like computer-aided design (CAD) technology. They also need to work on certain projects to have a good portfolio for their future profession.
Other Required Qualities
Artistic ability: initially the fashion designers need to draw their ideas and create a prototype. Later they need to the expression on the vision by illustrating the thoughts.
Communication skills: Generally a fashion designer will need to work in a team and they need to speak efficiently on the concepts and ideas. For example, if the team is meeting the sewers they should speak about the construction of the garments.
Computer skills: For a fashion designer it is important to have computer skill and knowledge on the computer-aided design (CAD) and several other graphics editing software. Some computer software has a strong base in the fashion technology so it is must to have computer knowledge.
Creativity: As a fashion designer it is necessary to work with different fabrics, shapes, and colors. Only if the ideas are unique, stylish and functional designs are created there can be an appropriate success in the profession.
Decision-making skills: Since the fashion designers are working in teams a lot of ideas are put forth and each one will express their thoughts from their perspective. You should be able to make the right decision based on the situation and by considering several factors.
Types of Fashion Designer
Clothing designer: This category of fashion designers involves in producing clothes for men, women, and children. This includes all the types of wears like casual wear, suits, sportswear, outerwear, evening wear, maternity clothing, and intimate apparel
Footwear designers: This type of fashion designers involves in designing of different shoes and boots. They need to shoe difference in the new material like the lightweight synthetic type of materials used in the shoe soles. It is necessary to take intense care on the design, comfortable, form and function of the footwear.
Accessory designers: They involve in producing some items like handbags, belts, hats, eyewear, suitcase, scarves and hosiery.
Costume designer: A costume designer is the one who creates art for motion picture and TV productions. They generally work with the directors and chose the right design considering several factors like the theme, place, part of the day, etc. they will need to stay in the location and help with the required design appropriately throughout the process.
Salary for Fashion Designer
As people always have some craze in the trend the salary of the fashion designer is always at the peak. The median annual wage for the fashion designer would be around $65,170. This fashion designer salary will also differ based on the work and the industry they are in. for example, motion picture and video industries will earn around $ 79,130; apparel manufacturing will have salary around $ 68,260; apparel and notion merchant wholesalers will have salary around $ 62,830 and the management of companies and enterprises will have salary around $ 76,300.
What Actually Fashion Designers Do?
The fashion designer designs the cloth and other fashion ranges. They design different cloth for different people, occasions, age group, and genders. As the fashioner, they will generally involve in
- Analyzing or predicting the trend in particular fabrics, shapes, and colors
- Develops some basic shapes and block through some particular patterns
- Estimate the cost of the particular materials and involved in the manufacture as well
- Produce some concepts and mood boards
- Work with different design instructions
- Choose the right color based on the design, the temperature of the place, event the dresses are designed
- Find the right suppliers
- Involve in some in-house presentations with some garments technologists, other professionals and sample machinists
How to find a Fashion Designer Job?
If you need to apply for the fashion designer job you should initially have the most impressive portfolio. Your portfolio should present as the potential employees and have the efficiency to do work as a professional fashion designer.
You can also start your own business as a fashion designer since the demand for the fashion designer is always high. You can be independent and work more on the designs that you are interested in. anyway, a portfolio is important since that showcase you in front of your clients as well.
How to Create the Best Portfolio for a Fashion Designer?
For any fashion designer, it is very important to have an efficient portfolio. For a fashion designer, a portfolio is like a resume and the sheets in it will help to judge and your efficiency completely. With that, you can showcase all the works you have completed in the period and your ability. It can be any fashion works, interior, jeweler, architecture, products or even in certain design fields. You will be judged only based on the portfolio. Su8ch portfolios are of different types.
- When you need a portfolio for the university it is quite simple. You need to prepare in such a way you showcase your design test and sewing test. Make them written and create a well-documented format. You will be evaluated in the garment knowledge, creativity, sense of style, originality. For the professional and experienced interviewer, it is just enough to have a look at one single page to define you completely.
- If it is a professional portfolio there are lots of things that differ. You will need to select the theme and design based on that. It might be seasonal and quirky as well. Make it on your own way and it should have the aspects that scream out loud about you.
- Make a board and do some research to get well started. Choose the latest fashion and present it with your own passion. The work background that you take creates inspiration for your work. This will not be recommended to the entire designer, only the people who have professional learning experience will be able to do them efficiently.
- Chose the right sample and include them. It is important to include some designs, backgrounds, learning experiences and inspirational designs. Make the color of the chart based on your collections and the type of fabrics. If possible you can also organize them in particular sequences so they will convey some information and that could be more appreciatable.
- Develop a pattern and create a dress of your own model. Look for the right model and take different poses from the dress that you have designed. This is the best thing that you can do to have an efficient portfolio.
A job of the fashion designer is completely based on the interest and the passion that you have towards the job. If you are passionate about it, you can choose fashion designing as your profession to have a bright career. Make the right selection on your career enjoy it forever!
We are sure this article from CareerJobs360 will help you to understand about Tip to have victory in the Fashion Designer.