The Indian Forest Services exam is one of the civil services examinations for the recruitment to forestry services of India. The main mandate of IFS service is to aim to ensure environmental stability and maintenance of ecological balance and is the implementation of the National Forest Policy.
There are three stages in the IFS exam which are Preliminary Exam, Mains Exam and Interview. It belongs to the apex All India Services Group with the aim of serving the government’s forestry services. It means for being involved in the exercise of administrative, judicial, and financial powers
- Important Dates:
The following are the important dates for the aspiring candidates to appear for the Preliminary exam:
|Date of Notification||19th February 2019|
|Last date for application submission||18th March 2019|
|Date of exam||02nd June 2019|
- Application fees:
The application fee for the civil exams is INR 100/- and can be deposited online or by cash in any branch of SBI bank. There are no fees for females and SC/ST candidates.
- Eligibility Criteria:
Candidates should comply with the following eligibility criteria for IFS examination:
- Candidate should be the citizen of India or Subject of Nepal, Bhutan or Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962.
- Candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree in any of the following subjects which are Animal Husbandry & Veterinary science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Agriculture, Forestry, and Engineering.
- Candidate should be at least 21 years old to 30 years old. The age for SC/ST candidates is up to 35 years and age for OBC is up to 33 years old.
- Vacancy/Exam Details:
The IFS exams are conducted only once a year. General candidates will get maximum of 7 attempts to clear the examination. Through there is no restriction for SC/ST candidates while OBC and physically handicapped candidates get maximum of 9 attempts. The UPSC conducts the IFS preliminary exam for screening purpose and only candidates with the minimum of 33% will be allowed to sit for the mains examination. There are two set of papers for the preliminary examination and candidate should clear the both set of the papers else it will lead to disqualification. Both the papers are of 200 marks each and duration of 2 hours for each paper. The exam is conducted in two languages Hindi and English and there will be negative marking for each wrong answer.
The paper 1 is conducted to test the current affairs and paper 2 is conducted for the aptitude test. Both the papers will be objective type. Candidate should prepare for current event of National and International importance, History of India and Indian National Movement, Indian and world geography, Indian politics and governance, Economic and Social development, General science and General issues on environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate change for Paper 1 exam. Candidate should prepare for comprehension, Interpersonal skills including communication skills, logical reasoning and Analytical ability, Decision Making and Problem solving, General mental ability, and Basic numeracy, and data interpretation.
- Pay Scale (For Jobs):
IFS jobs are considered reputed jobs similar to IAS jobs and that’s the reason the pay scale for these jobs are higher than other government jobs. The pay scale for IFS are as follows:
|Rank||Officer Basic Pay Starting Level Per month||Officer Pay grade Starting level Per month||Total per month|
|Junior Time Scale||8000||5400||13400|
|Senior Time Scale||10650||6600||17250|
|Junior Administrative Scale||12750||7600||20350|
|Super Administrative Scale||18400||10000||28400|
Apart from the salary, IFS officer gets many perks, allowances and advances like they will get the 2BHK flat with car and facilities for dependents and family.
- Selection Criteria:
There are three stages for the IFS exam – one is Preliminary exam, the second is the main exam and the third is Interview. The preliminary examination is conducted for the screening of the candidates for the second and the main exam for the IFS. Those who are not able to clear the preliminary examination will not be allowed for the IFS main examination.
The IFS main examination consists of 6 papers and the candidate should clear all the 6 papers of the main exam. Candidate would need to choose two subjects from the optional subject to appear for the exam. The IFS main exam consists of following papers – General Knowledge, General English, Paper 1 of first optional subject, Paper 2 of first optional subject, Paper 1 of second optional subject and paper 2 of second optional subject. And when the candidate clears the main examination then the candidate is eligible for the last round which is personal interview. The stage of personal interview carried 200 marks and they are reviewed on the basis of their overall personality, orientation including the dressing style, communication skills, the presence of mind, listening skills and attitude for the work.
The key point they should remember while appearing for the interview is that they should dress formally and make sure that their communication is completely formal. The marks scored in interview are for utmost important to select the appropriate position in the job.
How to Apply
Candidate should follow the following steps for the application of the IFS exam:
- Visit the official website of the UPSC
- Click the application form for the IFS exam and it is highly recommended that the application is filled without any error or mistake.
- Candidates would need to register themselves on the website with their basic details and uploading the required documents.
- They will get the regular updates and communications on their registered email id from the commission.
- Candidate should upload the photo and signature in the exact size mentioned on the website. The size should not be less than 3KB and not more than 40KB.
- Once all the details have been filled and documents are uploaded, candidate should review and check before the final submission.
- Pay the application fee online or mention to pay by cash through SBI Bank.
Official Website: www.upsc.gov.in
- Civil Services (Prelims) Exam 2019 – Apply Online
- NDA and NA Exam (I) 2019 – Apply Online
- Haryana TET Online Form 2018 – January 2019